Kate Spade & Company’s on purpose Label
The 150 women artisans in Masoro are employees of Abahizi Dushygikirane Corporation or ADC, the supplier of Kate Spade & Company’s on purpose label. ADC is Rwanda’s premiere handbag manufacturing partner providing high-quality products to the global fashion industry with a social commitment to empower its employees and transform its community.
Professors Edward Soule, Catherine Tinsley, and Pietra Rivoli at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business conducted a 23-month study of on purpose and:
- Monitored this “social enterprise supplier model”
- Evaluated whether ADC’s employment experience provided vital resources
- Assessed how artisans flourished economically, socially, and psychologically
Learn more about Georgetown’s involvement in the project here and the latest press release from Georgetown here. For press inquiries, please contact Molly Fleenor at 202-687-5254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women Artisans Flourished Economically, Socially, and Psychologically
The May 2017 report, “A Social Enterprise Link in the Fashion Industry Value Chain Performance and Potential of a New Supplier Model” outlines the following:
- Documents Kate Spade & Company’s on purpose initiative and all facets of ADC;
- Measures and evaluates the impacts of the ADC employment experience on the lives of the company’s female employees; and
- Assesses ADC’s business model and competitive prospects
Abahizi Dushyigikirane means “Together, we accomplish more” in Kinyarwandan
Artisans also claim to have higher levels of physical health, social standing, power, and confidence; and lower levels of anxiety.
While it is premature to draw any significant conclusions regarding ADC’s long-term financial sustainability, the study concludes that ADC has the rudimentary elements of a sustainable business and has a realistic prospect of achieving its commercial purpose, which is to prosper as a supplier to multiple fashion brands.
Celebrating Two Years of the Kate Spade & Company’s on purpose Label